Baked Eggplant Parmesan
3 egg whites
3 T water
1/2 c fine breadcrumbs
1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese, separated
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 T basil leaves, chopped
1/2 T oregano
1/2 T garlic salt
1/4 t nutmeg
1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
1- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I use no salt added)
1 c mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400*; foil line and grease two baking sheets, and grease one 9x13 pan.
2. Cut eggplants into 1/4" slices.
3. In a shallow dish, whisk together egg whites and water.
4. In another shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
5. Dredge eggplant slices in egg white mixture and then coat in breadcrumb mixture.
6. Arrange slices in a single layer on baking sheets; bake 15 minutes, flip slices, and bake another 15 minutes.
7. Combine spices, tomato sauce, and tomatoes; spread 1/2 cup on the bottom of the 9x13 pan (just enough for a thin layer).
8. Lay half of the eggplant slices over sauce, overlapping a bit if necessary.
9. Spoon half of the remaining sauce (1 cup) over eggplant and sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup) over sauce.
10. Layer remaining eggplant, then remaining sauce, and remaining mozzarella & Parmesan cheeses.
11. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until sauce begins to bubble and the cheese turns golden.
*Each serving (about 2 slices with sauce) is only 174 calories.
Serve by itself or over wheat pasta.
Strawberry and Peppers Salad / Salsa
18 hours ago