1 1/4 c sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
1 c cherry juice
4 c pitted cherries
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t almond extract
2 c flour
1/2 t salt
2/3 c shortening
5-7 T cold water
1. Preheat oven to 425*.
2. In a medium pan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in cherry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes, until thickened.
3. Remove from heat; stir in cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg, and almond extract and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shorteneing until crumbly.
5. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork, until a ball forms. Divide pastry so that one ball is slightly larger than the other.
6. On a slightly floured surface, roll out the larger ball to fit a 9" pie dish; transfer to pie dish and trim edges.
7. Add filling. Roll out remaining dough and cut strips; make a lattice crust and trim and seal the edges.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375* and bake for another 45-50 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.