Four Layer Angel Strata Pie
2 deep dish pie crusts
2 eggs, separated
1/2 t vinegar
1/4 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 c sugar, separated
2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c water
2 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 t vanilla
1. Bake pie crust as directed.
2. Preheat oven to 325*.
Layer 1 - Meringue
1. Whip egg whites (save yolks and set aside in refrigerator) until foamy; beat in vinegar, cinnamon, and salt.
2. Gradually beat in 1/2 c sugar and whip until stiff.
3. Spread half of the meringue over the bottom and sides of each crust.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, until raised and slightly brown. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, or until completely cool.
Layer 2 - Hard Chocolate
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, mix chocolate chips and water. Microwave for about 2-2 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth.
2. Spread 1/4 of the chocolate into each of the pie crusts; refrigerate 10 minutes until layer is crisp.
3. Stir egg yolks into remaining melted chocolate and set aside in the refrigerator.
Layer 3 - Whipped Cream
1. Whip heavy cream until it starts to firm up; beat in vanilla and remaining sugar.
2. Once whipped cream has thickened, spread 1/4 of it into each pie; refrigerate at least 10 minutes.
Layer 4 - Chocolate Whipped Cream
1. Pull melted chocolate out of the refrigerator and mix in to remaining whipped cream; spread 1/2 of chocolate whipped cream over each of the pies.
Pies will keep for up to 4 days, covered in the refrigerator.
Bread for the Journey
4 hours ago