Sweet & Sour Chicken
1 T cornstarch
1/2 c + 1 T water
1/2 c pineapple juice
1/2 c orange juice
1/2 c vinegar
1/2 c sugar
3 T ketchup
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
salt and pepper
1 c flour
1 c cornstarch
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/4 c water
2 bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
6 green onions, cut into 1" pieces
1. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a medium pot, combine juices, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, pepper flakes, and remaining 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Whisk in reserved cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, about a minute; remove from heat, cover, and keep warm, stirring occasionally.
1. Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet and line half of the rack with paper towels.
2. Using different paper towels, pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, 2 t salt, and 1 t pepper in a medium bowl; slowly whisk in water and 3 T oil until smooth. Place chicken in batter and submerge to coat.
4. Pour vegetable oil into a large Dutch oven until 1 1/2" deep and heat over medium-high heat to 375*.
5. Use one fork to spear a piece of chicken, and then use another fork to slide that chicken off and in to the oil. You can fry several pieces at a time, just make sure that you have the temperature at 350-375* before dropping in each piece.
6. Fry, stirring gently to prevent sticking together, until chicken is golden brown; transfer chicken to paper towel-lined side of rack, let drain, and then move to exposed side of rack to dry completely.
7. Once all chicken has been fried, remove Dutch oven from heat. Place peppers in oil and stir until softened; remove. Place onions in oil and stir until bright green; remove.
8. In a large bowl, combine chicken, peppers, onions, and 2/3 of sauce; toss to coat. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
Serve over rice.
Bread For the Journey
2 hours ago