Sopa de Albondigas
3/4 + 1/2 t salt, separated
1 c white rice
8 oz lean ground beef
8 oz ground pork
5 T cilantro, minced, separated
3 cloves garlic, minced, separated
1 t oregano
1 t pepper
1/4 t cumin
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1/2 jalapeno, roughly chopped
1 T vegetable oil
8 c chicken broth
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1. In a large pot, bring 4 cups water and salt to a boil; add rice, return to boil, and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain rice, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
2. In a large bowl, mix half of the rice with the beef, pork, 3 T cilantro, egg, 1 clove garlic, oregano, 1 t pepper, remaining 1/2 t salt, and cumin until thoroughly combined. Roll into 1" meatballs and place on rimmed baking sheet.
3. In a food processor, process tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and remaining 2 cloves garlic until smooth.
4. In the original pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; carefully add tomato mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in broth and carrots, bring to simmer, and cook until carrots are almost soft, about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in zucchini and remaining rice, then gently add meatballs and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 T cilantro and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Strawberry and Peppers Salad / Salsa
18 hours ago