1 c long grain rice
2 T olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 tsp. salt
1- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 c chicken broth
1/2 t curry powder
1. Place rice in a bowl and cover with really hot water; let sit for 15 minutes.
2. Swish, rub, and squeeze the rice and then drain.
3. Cover with cool water; swish, rub, and squeeze and then drain; repeat until water is pretty clear (about 2-3 more times).
4. Drain rice well, pat dry with paper towels, and spread evenly on a cookie sheet; let dry overnight.
5. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
6. Add onion, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened.
7. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce until blended; stir in chicken broth and curry powder.
8. Cover and simmer until broth is mostly absorbed; stir, re-cover, and simmer over low heat until all liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.