Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Roasted Chicken

Let me preface this by telling you that I do not eat meat off of bones. Like ever. But my sister convinced me to try this easy recipe and I did. And I loved it (as long as hubby cuts it off the bone first).

Roasted Chicken
1 whole (6-7lb) chicken
about 4 T kosher salt
2 white onions, 1 sliced in to rings and 1 diced
1 c diced celery
1 c diced carrots
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T black pepper
2-3 lemons, sliced into rings

1. Pull all of the guts and grossness out of the bird and rinse inside and out. Liberally apply salt to outside of bird and throw some (about a tablespoon) in the hole, too.
2. Place on a dinner plate, wrap bird and dinner plate in saran wrap, and refrigerate overnight, or at least for a few hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400*; line a roasting pan well with foil and grease.
4. In a small bowl, combine the celery, carrots, garlic, pepper, and chopped onion; stuff bird with mixture.
5. On the bottom of the pan, lay a layer of sliced onion and then a layer of lemon slices.
6. Place the bird in the pan and cook, uncovered, for 2 hours.
I'm not a huge fan of the stuffing, but I do like to serve the meat with a drizzle of the lemon juices from the bottom of the pan.

No comments: