3 just-ripe bananas (yellow/light green)
3 T lemon juice, separated
1.5 c sugar, separated
8 large egg yolks
5 T cornstarch
6 c half-and-half
.5 t salt
3 T butter
2 t vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325*.
2. Place 3 bananas (skin-on) on baking sheet and bake until skins are black, about 20 minutes. Let cool for a minute or two, peel and throw in food processor with 2 T lemon juice until smooth. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of puree (this will prevent "pudding skin" from forming) and set aside.
3. Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, yolks, and cornstarch in a medium bowl until smooth.
4. Bring half-and-half, remaining sugar, and salt to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat.
5. Whisk 1/2 cup half-and-half mixture into yolk mixture, then slowly pour tempered yolk mixture into saucepan; stir in banana puree.
6. Cook until thick, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
7. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding and refrigerate until it begins to set up, about 30 minutes.
*Recipe courtesy of Cook's Country.
Bread for the Journey
11 hours ago