4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 T butter
1 onion chopped, plus 1 T finely chopped
.5 c shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
salt and pepper to taste
5 carrots, chopped
1 T vegetable oil
1 lb lean ground beef
2 T flour
1 T ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c beef broth
1. Preheat oven to 375*; bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain and mash.
3. Mix in butter, finely chopped onion and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, mash and set aside.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan or skillet; add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until browned; pour off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Spread the ground beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Next, spread on mashed carrots. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with ¼ cup shredded cheese.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serves: 6.
Hint: Save time by cooking the potatoes and carrots at the same time.
Buttermilk Dressed Potatoes - Flashback Friday -
23 hours ago