Butternut Squash Soup
1- 3-4 lb butternut squash
1 T olive oil
1/4 t salt
4 c (32 oz box) chicken broth
2 c water
1 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
2 t brown sugar
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and throw away seeds and membrane. Brush oil over cut sides and sprinkle with salt.
3. Place squash, cut sides down, on a cookie sheet; bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
4. Cool slightly until you're able to pick up squash with your bare hand, scoop out the meat, and discard the skins.
5. Place squash and broth in food processor (mine could only hold half of the broth with the squash, so I just added the rest in the pot); leave the feed hole open to allow steam to escape and cover it with a towel to avoid splattering. (An immersion blender in the pot would also work well.)
6. Blend until smooth, pour into a large pot, and stir in water and spices*.
7. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Serve warm.
Makes around 9 to 10 cups.
*You can change the spice amounts to your own liking - have fun and make it your own!
**Every 2 cups contain less than 110 calories!
Bread For the Journey
2 hours ago