2 cups water
1/4 t baking soda
3/4 - 1 c diced nopalitos (about 1 large pad)
1 c yellow cornmeal
1 c flour
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
3/4 t salt
1 egg, beaten
1 c milk
1/4 c butter-flavored shortening (or butter), melted
3/4 c corn
1. Preheat oven to 425*; grease and flour (or cornmeal) an 8" square pan.
2. Boil water and baking soda together; add nopalitos and boil until they become a dull green color. Drain well and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; blend in egg and milk.
4. Add shortening and mix well; fold in corn and nopalitos.
5. Pour into pan and bake about 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and passes toothpick test.
Mashed Potato Waffles
5 hours ago