4 c flour
2 t salt
1/2 c shortening
1 c + 2-4 T lukewarm water
1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl*; cut in shortening.
2. Add 1 cup water, blend well (don't be afraid to get your hands dirty), and gradually add more water until dough is pliable and easy to work with.
3. Halve and let sit about half an hour.
4. Divide dough into golf- to baseball-sized balls, depending on desired thickness of tortillas.
5. Roll out each ball on a floured surface and shape tortillas.
6. Spread a little bit of olive oil on a large pan; place over medium heat.
7. Place rolled out tortilla dough, one at a time, into pan; flip halfway through cooking to evenly cook both sides.
Makes about a dozen 8" tortillas, depending on size and thickness.
*This recipe also works very well in a standing mixer.
This and That
2 hours ago