Roasted Tomato Soup
8 roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
salt and pepper, to taste
2 T olive oil, separated
1/2 c + 1 T water, separated
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t herbes de provence
2 c chicken broth
sour cream (opt)
1. Preheat oven to 275* and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes in salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of oil; place the tomatoes, cut side down, on baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon water over them. Bake for 60 minutes.
3. Remove tomatoes from oven, carefully remove and discard skins, and replace on baking sheet, cut sides up. Bake for another 30-60 minutes, until tomatoes are shriveled, but not dry. Put aside to cool.
4. In a large pot, saute onion in remaining tablespoon of olive oil over low heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
5. Add garlic and herbes de provence and cook until fragrant; add chicken broth and remaining 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Puree tomatoes (and any liquid on the baking sheet) in a blender with a little bit of the chicken broth mixture; pour in to the pot through a fine sieve. Season with salt and pepper, and warm through.
Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream.
This and That
2 hours ago