Southwestern Layered Beef Casserole
1 T vegetable oil
3/4 c uncooked rice
1- 10 oz can Rotel
1/2 c chicken broth
1 t salt, divided
1/2 t pepper, divided
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
1 T chili powder
2 cloves minced garlic
1 t cumin
1 t coriander
1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
1- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 c shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1 c frozen corn, thawed
2 green onions, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350* and grease a 9x13 pan.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until light brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer rice to greased pan; stir in Rotel, broth, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper.
4. Place beef, onion, bell pepper, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper in the skillet and cook over medium heat until beef is cooked through and vegetables have softened.
5. Stir chili powder, garlic, cumin, and coriander in to the beef mixture and cook until fragrant, about a minute; stir in tomato sauce and cook until slightly thickened.
6. Add beef mixture to pan and spread evenly over rice mixture; layer on beans, cheese, and corn.
7. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 60-70 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Uncover, sprinkle with onions, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Flashback Friday- Chicken Stew
1 hour ago