Baked Zucchini with Sweet Onion Dip
3 medium zucchinis
1 T salt
1/2 T butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T honey
1/2 T mustard
1 c [light] mayonnaise
1 T water
1 c Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
1. Cut each zucchini into 9 equal pieces lengthwise (3x3); cut each stick down to about 3" long.
2. Place zucchini in a colander over a bowl and toss with salt; let sit for at least an hour, allowing the zucchinis to sweat out their juices.
3. Preheat oven to 425*; line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease.
4. In a medium frying pan, melt butter over medium heat and add onion; saute onions for 20-30 minutes until they have caramelized, stirring occasionally. They should be browned.
5. Take pan off heat and let it rest while you put vinegar, honey, and mustard in food processor.
6. Add onions and puree (with the feed hole open to allow steam to escape) until smooth; add mayo and pulse until incorporated.
7. Remove zucchini from colander and dry them well.
8. In a shallow dish, whisk eggs and water; in another shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs and cheese.
9. Dip zucchini in egg wash and then in breadcrumbs; space evenly on cookie sheet.
10. Bake for about 13 minutes, until starting to turn brown, flip sticks and bake for an additional 13-15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Serve with dip.
Bread For the Journey
2 hours ago