6 T butter, softened
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c molasses
2 t vanilla
3 c flour
1 T ground ginger
3/4 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/4 t allspice
1 c powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 T milk
food coloring, opt
1. Cream butter, sugar, and egg with an electric mixer on low; add molasses and vanilla and mix until combined.
2. Sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and allspice. Fold dry ingredients in to butter mixture and mix on low until just combined.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl, halve it, and wrap it in plastic wrap; place in fridge for an hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350*; line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
5. Let the dough sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes until pliable. At this point you can either roll out the dough and cut it out with cookie cutters or roll in to balls, roll those in sugar, and press down with a fork (like peanut butter cookies) before baking.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, until edges just begin to brown; transfer to wire racks to cool.
7. To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar and milk. Divide the mixture into different bowls and dye as desired.